Notices
Engine Swaps For all your engine swap experiences, ideas, questions, & more..

The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread

Until we get enough traffic to warrant our own sub-forum this is the thread we can use to ask questions, discuss options and products involved with an LS Swap. We can copy over the most informative posts from the SIKKY thread.

Also, it may be helpful if members that have already completed the swap post up what their setup currently consists of in terms of engine, trans, swap kit, F/I, etc...

Royal T - Build Thread: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...nuff-said.html

Cass007 - Build Thread: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...ll-thread.html

Quamen - Build Thread: https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...h400-swap.html

Last edited by Cass007; 07-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Stickied...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is perfect for now...
Old 06-06-2011, 05:34 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Guys that are in the midst of swaps now....document the little things (along with the big), etc as you progress. That is how we can create a truly useful FAQ for LS swaps. Ideally this can and will become the one stop shop for a LS swap related issue. Quamen, Royal, Cass, Snyper, etc....Don't be stingy on the details and words of wisdom .
Old 06-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Lakeside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome!!! Thanks for creating this thread & stickied status. I'll be sure to follow it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:52 PM
themadhatterxxx

Please include prices as well..for those that are on the fence.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Quamen

This is a good start. I will be sure to put together some general info and post in this thread as soon as possible.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:35 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Thanks, Quamen.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 PM
350zion
Professional

Nice fread ! Now u have my interest....... hmmmmmm

Thanks
Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about time lol! ill be posting alot of info in here in the next few days. ill also get in depth about the differences in blocks, sensors, what parts can swap with what, etc.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Sweeeeettttt!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 PM
mikespeed95

Originally Posted by bbs350z
about time lol! ill be posting alot of info in here in the next few days. ill also get in depth about the differences in blocks, sensors, what parts can swap with what, etc.

Its really pretty simple.

You have two types of LS, gen III and gen IV

Gen III have the Cam angle sensors on the back in the worst place to get to, as well as cathedral ports on the heads.

Gen IV move the Cam sensor to the front, and are more oval ports on the heads.

98 or older engines are odd, just stay away.

The accessories are either for Vette, CTS-V, truck, or Fbody/GTO. They aren't very interchangable other than Fbody/GTO.

They're pretty straightforward, similar to VQ on what swaps. There are a bunch of small differences but typically you're a matter of swapping heads away from whatever route you wanna take.

Also I will never ever encourage anyone to run a front-sump pan without an accusump. Ls1's only downfall is their terrible oiling system, and an aftermarket pan absolutely does not solve the problem unless you
A) only rev to 5500 rpm.
B) Drive like a pansy.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 AM
bbs350z

^lol, also there are differences in the valley designs from the ls1/ls1/ls6 etc.
tons of info here
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132389

stay away from 98 model years. harness/ecu is different from 99+

the sensor list includes

2 knock sensors- ls1 mount in the vallEy cover (98 sensors and plugs are different from 99+) ls2 sensors mount on the lower back portion of the block on each side
2 o2 sensors
1 cam position sensor
1 crank position sensor
1 oil pressure sensor
1 oil level sensor (not needed)
1 coolant sensor
maf (both 3 pin and 5 pin)
map sensor
1 iat sensor (5pin mafs have then in the sensor)
1 tps sensor on throttle body
1 iac sensor on throttle body

ls2's are drive by wire, f body ls1 are cable driven

fbody accessories have a different layout then corvette accessories and truck accessories, by accessories i mean pulleys, alternators, etc.

gto power steering pumps are remote resevoir

corvette trans and harness will not work!!

if you go ls1 ecu, make sure its an e38, you can tell by a red port and a blue port. ls2 is called an e40.

ls1/ls6 valley covers fit the ls1/ls6 block. the ls6 has improved pcv routing, and requires slight modding of the ls1 block to fit. ls2 valley covers are not interchangeable!!!

FOR PCV ROUTING LOOK IN THIS LINK
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132389

for those of you with a koyo radiator, you will have 1" clearance from the tip of your water pump to the rad. either slim fans or pusher fans are required (with the sikky swap).

*tips*
install sikky shifter after motor and trans are "almost" in position (not bolted down), install shifter, raise the trans, then bolt the trans in. you cannot access the shifter bolts/shifter internals from above the trans tunnel or below once installed.

sikky driveshaft is a 27 spline, same as the factory t56. magnum trans will not fit, or anything upgraded with a 32 spline shaft.

installing the sikky trans hydraulics is crucial with the trans off the motor. the bleeder line threads in using a 13mm open end wrench, and the main hydraulic line (bottom line) slips in and is held in place by a pin.

the power steering hard line that threads onto the top of the ps rck needs to be slightly bent to clear the oil pa. it helps to remove this line while installing the motor, and bending accordingly after the motor is installed. the bend is very light.

header install has to be after the motor is bolted down as the collectors sit too far out once bolted in place (similar to the aam 3" dp's on the vq)

with the sikky setup, and harness service , all the factory gauges will work except the tach, the solution to that is in the link below. speedhut 4" tach. mounts above factory tach, and requires 1 wire to a tach signal on the ls ecu. i will do a detailed install once i get mine in this week.
http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-609.htm

there are currently no exhaust options after the headers, however i am testing an ls1/lt1 3" y pipe to see how close they line up.

my hands are tired

heater is connected via your fctory z location which runs to the 2 ports on the passenger side of the water pump.

ls1 styled coolant hoses do not work with aftermarket intakes and are no longer produced, you must convert to ls6 style

with ls6/aftermarket manifolds, your valley cover bolts are too tall and require shorter heads on the bolts. i used allen key bolts.

ill update this often as i go along, and will get pics up as well
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Stimples (04-15-2017)
Old 06-07-2011, 02:54 AM
05Z33

Great sticky thread. I'm sure alot of us are going to want to know about A/C options.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 AM
bbs350z

^i think sikky is working up something right now, i also read something about modifying stock lines? idk if it was the z or ls lines, but a/c is in my future, i sweat enough today to wash out my sins (101 degrees w/ 90% humidity today)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM
nismo69

Another option for ls swap kit I found this info from another forum:

Fueled Racing

We have finally released our 350z and G35 LS conversion kits. As with all Fueled Racing products they are 100% made in the USA and 100% HAND tig welded. Our mount kit includes both engine mounts with captured poly mounts and transmission crossmember with poly mount. The oil pan is a REAR sump Moroso oil pan with custom Moroso oil pickup tube, billet dip stick and stud kit. Driveshaft will come standard in D.O.M. steel with the availability of Aluminum or Carbon fibre. The basic kit will cost $1650

For those looking for a more complete kit we also offer the same basic kit with a few extras. Starting with 1.75 inch long tube headers that are fully hand tig welded using GMPP flanges, CNC bent runners and 3 inch collectors. As with all of our headers they are welded using bronze silica filler rod on the head flange, come ceramic coated and have no welds along the runners to restrict flow. Next we include a complete oil filter relocation kit with all reusable AN fittings and steel braided line. Both power steering pressure and return lines are included using custom AN fittings at the steering rack and at the pump. With these added options the kit will run $2600

Clutch hydralics kit will be $250

We offer a custom two row crossflow radiator with dual flexalites as well as all coolant and heater hoses.

A/C lines will run $350 with your cores.

We are currently developing a complete standalone EMS that will be able to run both the LS and all components of the Z or G such as gauges, A/C, A.B.S., S.I.R. and navigation. (working prototype is in two cars and will be ready to release once we come to an agreement with the manufacturer.)(the US based manufacturer is a extremely well respected stand alone manufacturer with heavy saturation in the Corvette and 350Z market.)
Old 06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
bbs350z

^wow nice. but i didnt see a z specific kit yet so ill assume its in production, and its strange that i havent seen any advertising from this company, especially on nico or this board.

https://www.fueledracing.com/feature.php?fid=5

the only thing i do not see is a shifter option, however seeing that it has a rear sump setup leads me to believe that the motor sits further back and most likely utilizes a factory shifter. in for more details...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

An addition to the bbs post about gauges. It is my understanding that currently the SIKKY kit and wiring harness work does NOT allow for AC to be turned on/off using the factory switch. A dedicated line is required to make this function, but all other controls work as normal.

To the guys that are modding the LS prior to install, please post what trans mods, heads, cam and such you have installed. Eventually when enough cars are up and running we can start a dyno thread to compare mods vs numbers vs cost. We are the pioneers gentlemen (Noah, Snyper and Havok are the true pioneers)... the foundation we lay will help those that come later do things right the first time.

Looks like I may be the first to find out if the LS can be bolted to the front cross-member and then raised into place just like we do with the VQs. I will try it with both headers on and see if it works.

bbs... waiting for the toutorial and lots of pics.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Legacy406

Received 3,270 Likes on 2,571 Posts

Originally Posted by themadhatterxxx
Please include prices as well..for those that are on the fence.
Big +1. I've had the itch to do this for a while now.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM
bbs350z

ok here we go with the pics n such

sensors

maf- i have a 5 pin maf w/ a 3 pin adaptor (early ls1 cars-maf is from an ls1 gto-notice the built in iac sensor located next to my index)

cam position sensor (top) + oil pressure sensor (bottom-long cylinder sensor) located behind the intake manifold

coolant sensor-located right below front driver side head

crankshaft position sensor (located on passenger side between block and starter)

knock sensor sub harness (99+ uses the new style connectors and sensors w/ no locking tab-they are push type)

tps sensor and iac sensor on throttle body

map sensor-back of manifold (not installed in pic-the one with orange on it)

oil level sensor (not required)

oil level sensor installs between block and alternator (fbody alternator configuration)

clearance from koyo 52mm rad and fbody water pump- i have normal sized hands, no goliath palming 2 basketball hands here

coolant port-ls1 coolant piping is no longer produced, you must use ls6 style which blocks off the rear 2 ports, and connects the front 2 ports to the throttle body

gm e38 ecu- the easy way to tell- red/blue printed on it-this is from a 00 ws6

sikky shifter from above trans tunnel-access to bolts is limited, so installation during motor install is recommended- after motor/trans is slipped in, before it is bolted down.

the power steering line that requires slight bending

1 side ls coilpacks-be cautious of these. you either want ls1 coils or truck coils that match the ls1 pinout. truck coils are better overall, and i purchased these from a 5.3 silverado and the pinouts from fbody harness to these is identical, and they bolt on to my aftermarket ls1 valvecovers. have not checked the part number to verify where they came from

here it is sitting in my z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official LS Swap Info/Questions Thread